Monday, January 17, 2011

Sources of inspiration

My creativity is something i take very seriously and my sources of inspiration for me are something I take very personally. I have a ton of inspirations but there are three that I am going to list in this post are the main ones I get inspired by.

1.) Phish
I first discovered Phish from my Middle School science teacher. When I first heard them I immediately fell in love and started to listen to them a lot. The thing is they did not really have an effect on my creative process until last year. the main creative inspiration I got from phish is improvisation and also to make each one of my works different.
  Last year I started to listen to Phish intensely when I got their new album Joy. When i heard this album for the first time it amazed because this is one of their best studio albums to date but it also had a deep meaning to it.  the song i feel that i feel has the most meaning to is the title track Joy.
 Here is a video of Phish preforming the song Joy


The song Joy is a great example of how Phish uses the example of text and subtext. The text of this song says about how they want to cheer up some they know. On the level of subtext this song takes a much deeper meaning the meaning in the subtext is this song is about Trey Anastasio's(lead guitarist/vocalists) family and friends helped cheer him up after his sister had passed away due to cancer.


2.) Sam Raimi
Sam Raimi over the past couple of years has given me a good amount of inspiration for my work. The work of his that inspires me the most is the evil dead trilogy. The main source of inspiration from this work is not only the horror aspect of it but also the comedy/horror part of it.  the reason why I like comedy horror so much is because it not only can scare the audience but also have them enjoy and laugh at ridiculous aspects of the film. here is a clip from Evil Dead 2
The aspect from this clip perfectly demonstrates another aspect i like to take from Sam Raimi movies. this aspect is Tension and Release. The tension of this scene comes from not knowing who is going to win the fight the hand or Ash. The battle goes on for quite some time and it through out it it is unsure who will be unsure because they seem to be evenly matched. then all of that tension is released in a bloody ending when Ash wins the fight.

3.) Steven Spielburg

Steven Spielberg has always been a huge source of inspiration for me. If it was not for me seeing Jurassic park at the age of 5 I am not even sure if I would have had any interests in film. I remember after seeing that film I immediately became obsessed with him and started to watch a lot of his movies. I also have a lot to owe to Spielberg because if it was not for the movie Jaws i would have never wanted to learn bass because the reason why I took up bass in the fourth grade is because i wanted to learn the infamous bass line from the movie. The other forms of inspiration i draw from Spielburg is his intrest in the obscure and also his major intrest in history.
Here is a clip from the movie Schindler's List
This scene from the movie is a Perfect example of Contrast and Affinity. The affinity in this scene is the black and white which is what the movie is shot in but in this scene there is also a contrast whenever you actually see color from a little girl wearing a fred coat. This contrast is meant to symbolize 6,000,000 million victims of the holocaust.

1 comment:

  1. You have a diverse set of creative influences, Jason! Nice, reflective post.

    ReplyDelete